Snack Food Month and National Cherry Month Converge in February, Bringing Together Two Top Trends
Nutritionist Joy Bauer shares why Montmorency tart cherries are a favorite ingredient in healthy snacks.
LANSING, Mich., February 9, 2015 – With snack consumption on the rise and sour flavors trending up, Montmorency tart cherries are a stand-out superfruit in the snack aisle. Snack makers are clamoring to create healthier options and have discovered Montmorency tart cherries can help deliver on both taste and nutrition.
About 90 percent of Americans say they snack daily, with snacks now accounting for more than half of all eating occasions and nearly 25 percent of our daily calories. The biggest growth has been in the better-for-you category, where Montmorency tart cherries have emerged as a star ingredient in a range of new snack products, especially in dried form. New innovative dried Montmorency tart cherries products include energy bars, mixed fruit bars, Greek yogurt-covered Montmorency tart cherries, dark chocolate dipped Montmorency tart cherries, granolas and trail mixes.
“The secret to smart snacking is to choose a bite that contains a combo of protein and fiber, a power pair that will help you feel full longer. And of course, you can’t forget about flavor—it has to taste good, too. That’s why Montmorency tart cherries are such a great pick; they offer great taste coupled with nutrition,” says Joy Bauer, MS, RDN, the Today show’s nutrition expert. “Dried Montmorency tart cherries are fantastic on their own, but there’s something magical when you combine this distinctive-tasting fruit with other ingredients, like dark chocolate, roasted edamame and almonds.”
Bauer’s passion for Montmorency tart cherries is reflected in her snack line, Nourish Snacks. A standout product at the recent Fancy Food Show, Nourish Snacks features two products with dried Montmorency tart cherries: Sweet & Salty Kapow (Montmorency tart cherries + roasted edamame) and Almond to Cherries (Montmorency tart cherries + roasted almonds).
The Montmorency tart cherry flavor profile is rapidly growing and more in demand than ever, with a 40 percent increase in restaurant items featuring Montmorency tart cherries over the past four years, according to Datassential Menu Trends. And, for good reason, as Americans gravitate toward more sour and tart tastes.
The nutrient profile of Montmorency tart cherries is also impressive. Montmorency tart cherries, the most popular variety grown in the U.S., are packed with anthocyanins – natural compounds that provide the ruby-red color, distinctive tart taste and potential health benefits. Tart cherries have been the focus of numerous scientific studies, including research on exercise recovery, sleep, heart disease, arthritis and gout. Luckily, these super fruits are available year-round in dried, juice, frozen and concentrate forms.
Tips for Satisfying Snacks
Bauer suggests these simple snack-time strategies:
- Don’t Get Caught in a Snack Attack. If you start searching for food after you’re already hungry, you’re more likely to make choices that are high in calories and low in nutrients. Plan and pre-package munchies in the morning or keep wholesome single-serve snacks on-hand so you’re prepared when hunger strikes.
- Go for Nutrient-Dense Noshes. The right snacks with the right nutrients can help keep hunger in check until your next meal. Dried fruits, like anthocyanin-packed Montmorency tart cherries, and nuts, including protein-rich almonds, team up to create a tasty, wholesome snack that will satisfy your appetite.
- Take Time to Taste. Don’t be a distracted snacker, eating while standing at the fridge, watching TV or multi-tasking. Mindless eating can lead to calorie overload. Instead, grab a snack, sit down, relax and enjoy every bite.
DIY Tart Cherry Snacks
While there are many pre-packaged Montmorency tart cherry snacks available today, you can also make these simple, delicious recipes and mixes at home:
- Cherry-Lime Energy Balls: these Montmorency tart cherry-infused energy balls can be made in 10 minutes for an easy, on-the-go snack.
- Tart Cherry Pecan Bars: bursting with flavor, these bars will become your favorite go-to snack.
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Protein Bites: chocolate and cherries are a famous snack combo, and this quick bite will leave you feeling satisfied.
- Crunchy Cherry Party Mix: this snack staple is amplified in flavor with a Montmorency tart cherry twist.
- Power Berry Trail Mix Snack Cookie: the trail mix cookie is sure to become a recipe favorite, as this snack is both delicious and nutritious.
For more recipes and information on Montmorency tart cherries, visit ChooseCherries.com.
About Joy Bauer
Joy Bauer is one of the nation’s leading health authorities. As the nutrition and health expert for NBC’s TODAY show, Joy shares reliable, practical and straightforward advice that helps millions of Americans eat better and lead healthier, more fulfilling lives. She also hosts the program’s popular “Joy Fit Club” series, which celebrates determined people who have lost more than 100 pounds through diet and exercise alone. Most recently, Joy debuted her brand new PBS special, Joy Bauer’s Food Remedies, and launched her own snack line, Nourish Snacks, which offers a wide variety of healthy, wholesome snacks, perfectly portioned at under 200 calories per snack.