Total Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 quarts (8 servings)
- 3/4 cup or 4 ounces dried tart cherries, chopped
- 2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (7% fat Jennie O)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups fire-roasted* tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked (or 1 16-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- *Used Muir Glen canned fire-roasted tomatoes for optimal flavor; may use regular canned chopped tomatoes
Heat 1 cup of the broth.
Place tart cherries in small mixing bowl. Add hot broth and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Do not brown garlic. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink.
Add roasted bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, mustard powder and oregano. Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and remaining cup of broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
Stir in beans, tart cherries and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
Season with additional salt if desired.