Cherry Cobbler with French Style Crumb Topping
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 8 to 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Cobbler Filling
- 5 pounds pitted Montmorency tart cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 8 ounces Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate
- 2 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 8 ounces water
- 4 ounces modified food starch
- Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup fresh unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup Fuji apples, diced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Tart Cherry Cobbler Filling
In a mixing bowl, add the modified food starch and enough water to make a slurry (similar to a gravy); reserve.
Add Montmorency tart cherries, Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate, sugar and water to a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Heat the mixture on high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat to low and while stirring constantly, slowly add the slurry (the cherry sauce will thicken quickly).
Once to desired thickness, remove and set into ramekins or soufflé dishes of choice.
In a large mixing bowl, add crumb topping ingredients and mix together slowly with hands. Continue to mix until chunky crumbs form.
Place ramekin with tart cherry filling on a baking sheet and top with desired amount of crumb topping.
Bake in 400 degree preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.