Confetti Couscous Salad with Dried Cherries
Total Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 to 12 minutes
Yield: About 4 servings
- 1/2 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 5 ounces whole-wheat couscous (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
In a quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened.
Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat.
Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate, lemon juice and mustard. Whisk in oil until emulsified. Set aside.
Add dressing and remaining ingredients to the couscous and mix well. Serve immediately.