Montmorency Tart Cherry Streusel Coffee Cake
Total Time: 80 Minutes
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 60 Minutes
Yield: 12 Servings
- For the Streusel:
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup) cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries, thawed and drained
- For the Cake:
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Montmorency tart cherry Juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an angel food cake pan (tube pan) with a removable bottom and set aside.
- Make Streusel: In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut butter into mixture until butter is evenly incorporated and the size of peas. Fold in cherries and set aside
- Make the Cake: In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream together sugar and butter on medium high light and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well blended. Alternate between adding flour mixture and sour cream, a little at a time, until all ingredients are blended.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the prepared tube pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture evenly over cake batter. Repeat with remaining cake batter and streusel mixture.
- Bake cake for 60-65 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully remove cake from pan before glazing.
- Make Glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar and tart cherry juice until well blended and pourable. Drizzle glaze over cooled coffee cake.