Tart Cherry Cardamom Baked Oatmeal
Total Time: 55 Minutes
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 45 Minutes
Yield: 6 generously
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 egg, beaten (omit for vegan)
- 2 cups milk (use 2 1/2 cups almond milk for vegan)*
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
Preheat oven to 375F.
In a large bowl, mix the pecans, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, kosher salt, and dried cherries.
Grease a 8 or 9-inch square pan and pour in the oat and cherry mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg (if using). Mix in the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats, and mix to combine if necessary.
Over the top of the oats, drizzle the melted butter or coconut oil. (If desired, add a few more cherries to the top for presentation.)
Bake 35 to 45 minutes until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
To serve, cut into pieces. If desired, top with a drizzle of milk and extra maple syrup.
Recipe courtesy of Sonja Overhiser, acouplecooks.com