Tart Cherry Icebox Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: Freeze for 2 Hours
Yield: 8 Pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups Montmorency tart cherries, pitted/thawed if frozen
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (+ 1 teaspoon water)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 package (3.5 ounces) cheesecake pudding mix, not prepared
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sleeves graham crackers
- Optional: 1-2 chocolate bars, for topping
- Place the tart cherries and sugar in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and stir in the water until smooth. Add to the sauce and cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes longer. Strain the cherries and allow the liquid to cool in the fridge.
- In a large bowl fitted to a stand mixer, add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla bean paste. Mix until it begins to thicken and then slowly add the 100% cooled cherry sauce (you’ll only add 1/2 cup of this sauce). Mix until soft peaks form and then slowly add in the sugar and the cheesecake pudding mix until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Spread a little bit of this mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Top with graham crackers (break them to try and cover as much of the bottom of the pan as possible).
- Spread about 1/3 of the cherry whipped cream mixture on top. Layer more graham crackers. Spread another 1/3 of the whipped cream mixture on top. Layer more graham crackers. Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to enjoy, use a vegetable peeler to peel the side of a chocolate bar to make curls over the bars.