Warm Salmon, Cherry and Arugula Salad
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries, thawed
- 1/4 cup Montmorency tart cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 cups arugula (about 3 ounces), loosely packed
- 1/2 small head radicchio, cored and shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 4 salmon fillets, about 3/4-inch thick
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 large jalapeno (halved lengthwise), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, turmeric, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the arugula and radicchio and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste and divide mixture among serving plates. Set aside.
Season the salmon with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the salmon and cook until barely opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Arrange the salmon on top of the salads.
Return the skillet to medium heat, add the shallots and chile, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add Montmorency tart cherries and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Add Montmorency tart cherry juice, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet, until the juice is almost entirely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon tart cherry mixture over salmon and serve.