Berry Good Oatmeal
Total Time: 18 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 13 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2/3 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries & mixed dried berries (blueberries, strawberries)
- 2 cups lowfat milk (1% for nutrition analysis)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk (1% for nutrition analysis)
- 4 teaspoons toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
Bring 2 cups milk and salt to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in dried oats; then stir in dried Montmorency tart cherries, mixed berries and cinnamon.
Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls and pour 2 tablespoons milk over each serving.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and, if desired, nuts.
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake about 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool nuts before chopping.