Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 10 to 15 minutes
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 1/3 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries
- 1/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Coarsely chop frozen Montmorency tart cherries. Let cherries thaw and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon Montmorency tart cherry juice.
Once the frozen Montmorency tart cherries are thawed, combine with dried Montmorency tart cherries, onion, jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro in a medium saucepan; mix well.
Combine reserved Montmorency tart cherry juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan; mix until smooth. Stir into cherry mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium-high heat until mixture is thickened.
Allow 5 to 10 minutes to cool.
Serve with tortilla chips, or atop grilled chicken or pork.