Cherry and Lamb Tagine
Total Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can tomatoes (15 ounces), chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat.
Add onion and lamb; brown the lamb.
Stir in garlic, sweet potatoes, red pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, salt and black pepper.
Add chopped tomatoes and water; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Add Montmorency tart cherries and chickpeas; continue simmering until the lamb and sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Sprinkle the tagine with cilantro and serve with couscous.