Dried Tart Cherry Sweet Snack Mix
Total Time: 28 Minutes
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 8 Minutes
Yield: 8 -12 servings, as a snack
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 4 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 cup yogurt covered pretzels, coarsely chopped or broken up
- PREP: Preheat oven to 350. Line a 15×21 inch baking sheet (or 2 smaller baking sheets) with foil and grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- CEREAL: Add 4 cups Rice Chex, 4 cups Corn Chex, and 1 cup mixed nuts to the prepared sheet pan.
- SYRUP: In a heavy medium-sized pot, add the 1/2 cup butter (cut into individual tablespoons), 1 cup packed light brown sugar, and 1/4 cup corn syrup. Place over medium to medium high heat and stir constantly, and slowly, until butter is melted. Once butter is melted, continue to stir until the mixture comes to a rapid boil. Boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly, and remove from heat. Add in the 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt. Pour over the cereal on the sheet pan and, working quickly, stir until cereal and nuts are coated in the mixture.
- CINNAMON SUGAR: In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2/3 cup white sugar and stir. Sprinkle over cereal mixture.
- BAKE: Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven, and toss using a metal spatula. Return to the oven and bake for 3 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- CHERRIES AND PRETZELS: Once the mixture has cooled, sprinkle the tart cherries over the cereal. Break up the yogurt pretzels and add. Toss everything together, breaking up the cereal mixture as needed.
Recipe courtesy of Chelsea Lords, Chelsea’s Messy Apron