Fire-Roasted Corn and Cherry Salsa
Total Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Prep: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook: 15 to 20 minutes
Yield: 6 1/2-cup servings
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 fresh corn ears, shucked
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- Salt, to taste
Heat dried Montmorency tart cherries and water in a small saucepan. Simmer about 5 minutes, or until cherries have plumped and water is slightly syrupy. Set aside to cool.
Roast each ear of corn directly over a gas flame on stovetop or over a gas grill. Turn until each ear is slightly charred all around. Set aside to cool.
Cut corn kernels from cobs.
Combine corn, cherry mixture, onion, garlic, cilantro, peppers and lemon or lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
Serve on top of grilled chicken or fish.