Tart Cherry Hand Pies
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Prep: 60 Minutes
Cook: 20-25 Minutes
Yield: 7 Servings
- Hand Pie Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 13 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- ½ can Cherry Pie filling
- Egg Wash
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon cream or milk
- Tart Cherry Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon cherry juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract)
Hand Pie Dough
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine. Then, add the cubed butter and pulse, then followed by the sour cream pulsing until the dough is cohesive.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle with additional flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Shape the dough into a square and cut it into four pieces. Layer each piece of dough on top of the other and press down to flatten – this allows for flaky delicious layers! Repeat this process once more before wrapping the dough in plastic wrap and placing in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough to ⅛ of an inch thick, and cut 14-4inch circles. Brush each circle with egg wash (whisked together egg and cream/milk) before adding 1 tablespoon of tart cherry filling to 7 cut circles. Place the second piece of pastry on top, egg wash side down, touching the cherry filling. Using a fork, indent the edges of each pop tart firmly to seal each edge and add a small slit on the top of each pop tart using a sharp knife
- Chill the hand pies on a parchment-lined baking tray in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the hand pies have finished chilling, brush the tops with the remaining egg wash and transfer to oven.
- Bake on 400 for 25 minutes or until edges are beginning to turn golden-brown, then allow the hand pies to cool completely before frosting.
Tart Cherry Icing and Assembly
- Mix all cherry icing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add a few tablespoons of icing on top of each cooled pop tart and allow the icing to set for 10-15 minutes before enjoying!
Recipe courtesy of Emily Laurae