Chorizo & Tart Cherry Cornbread Dressing
Total Time: 60 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 people
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 pound ground chorizo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound store-bought or homemade cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup frozen tart cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chorizo 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally and breaking up chorizo with side of spoon. Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to small bowl. Reserve chorizo drippings in skillet, or, if there are no drippings, add olive oil to skillet and return to medium heat.
Add onion, salt and pepper to skillet. Cook 4 to 6 minutes or until onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, place eggs in large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add cornbread, cherries, parsley, butter, chorizo and onion to bowl; toss until well combined (cornbread will crumble). Transfer mixture to prepare baking dish. Transfer to oven and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Lori Yates, from Foxes Love Lemons