Skillet-Braised Cherry-Kimchi Chicken
Total Time: 48 Minutes
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 28 Minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- 4 bone-in chicken drumsticks
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Montmorency tart cherry juice
- 1 cup mild kimchi, drained, plus additional for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, plus additional for serving (optional)
- Thinly sliced green onions, for serving
- White sesame seeds, for serving
- Prepared white or brown rice, for serving
- Baby spinach or salad greens, for serving
In large high-sided skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Transfer bacon to plate; leave skillet over heat.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until skin is dark golden brown. Transfer chicken to plate with bacon.
Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from skillet and discard; reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and cherry juice. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits on bottom of skillet with wooden spoon.
Reduce heat to medium; stir in kimchi, dried cherries, soy sauce and sriracha. Nestle chicken, skin side up, and bacon, into kimchi mixture. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
Garnish chicken with onions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice, spinach and additional kimchi and sriracha, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Lori Yates, from Foxes Love Lemons