Tropical Buddha Bowls
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, chilled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons low- sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 ounces uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail removed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup shredded red or green cabbage
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Montmorency dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Almond-Lime Dressing
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 4+ drops sriracha hot sauce
In large cast-iron skillet or grill pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp, onions, broccoli, and pineapple to pan, keeping each ingredient in a quarter of the pan so they don’t mix together.
Season shrimp with ground pepper, and drizzle with a teaspoon of soy sauce.
Remove from pan once shrimp turns pink and cooked through and pineapple and broccoli are seared on both sides.
Add cooked rice to heated skillet and stir in coconut flakes and remaining teaspoon of soy sauce. Remove from pan when rice is heated through.
In small bowl, whisk together lime juice, almond butter, and water adding more water depending on desired thickness of dressing and how juicy limes are. Kick up the heat with sriracha hot sauce, adding additional drops if you like it spicy.
Divide coconut brown rice among two shallow serving bowls, and top with shrimp, onions, pineapple, broccoli, cabbage, avocado, tart cherries, pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of almond butter lime dressing. Serve with lemon wedges and chopsticks if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Kristina LaRue, LoveandZest.com