The 7-day Tart Cherry Juice Challenge
What is it?
Research suggests Montmorency tart cherry juice or concentrate may help ease muscle pain associated with intense exercise, leading to a growing number of elite athletes and weekend warriors including Montmorency tart cherry juice in their training routine.
Soreness after a workout is caused by a combination of inflammation, muscle damage and oxidative stress – and researchers suggest the natural compounds in Montmorency tart cherries, including anthocyanins, may aid in faster recovery, decreased muscle pain, and less muscle damage when consumed prior to working out, as well as after.1,2,3
What to do:
Drink either 8 ounces of Montmorency tart cherry juice or 2 tablespoons. of Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate (taken as a shot or diluted in your water or your favorite beverage) twice a day for at least seven days before a big race or event to help you ease the pain and recovery more quickly. Be sure to enjoy after you’ve completed your event, too.
Here are some tips to incorporate Montmorency tart cherries into your training routine:
- Drink a glass of Montmorency tart cherry juice before workouts
- Most of the exercise recovery studies have provided participants with two 8- or 12-ounce bottles of Montmorency tart cherry juice per day, the equivalent of close to 100 Montmorency cherries a day
- Drink an additional glass of Montmorency tart cherry juice within 30 minutes after you exercise
- Try a post-workout Montmorency tart cherry smoothie
- Carry some dried Montmorency tart cherries in your bag for a post-workout snack
How to learn more:
Follow along with our 7-day Tart Cherry Juice Challenge bloggers for more information and testimonials:
1Howatson G, McHugh MP, Hill JA, Brouner J, Jewell AP, van Someren KA, Shave RE, Howatson SA. Influence of Montmorency tart cherry juice on indices of recovery following marathon running. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2010 Dec;20(6):843-52.Link to full study here.
2 Kuehl KS, Perrier ET, Elliot DL, Chestnutt J. Efficacy of Montmorency tart cherry juice in reducing muscle pain during running: a randomized controlled trial. J. Int. Soc. Sports. Nutr. 2010;7:17-22. Link to full study here.
3 Connolly DA, McHugh MP, Padilla-Zakour OI, Carlson L, Sayers SP: Efficacy of a Montmorency tart cherry juice blend in preventing the symptoms of muscle damage. Br. J. Sports. Med. 2006, 40:679-83. discussion 683. Link to full study here.