Carmelized Salmon with Cherry Salsa
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Prep: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup frozen Montmorency tart cherries, thawed, drained and halved
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen salmon filet with skin
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 ripe mango or papaya, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, basil or cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
Thaw fish (if frozen).
Stir together brown sugar, orange peel and pepper.
Place fish, skin side down, in a shallow pan. Rub sugar mixture over fish. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours.
Remove fish from pan, draining off any juices. Place salmon, skin-side down, on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-hot coals.
Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Do not turn fish.
Meanwhile, toss together Montmorency tart cherries, mango or papaya, mint, vinegar and red pepper.
Spoon fruit salsa over warm fish. Serve immediately.