Cherry Butternut Squash Stuffing
Total Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 cups or 6 (1/4 cup) servings
- 2/3 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 2 to 3 strips of bacon, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (about 1/3 pound) butternut squash, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or sage leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons almonds or pecans, toasted and finely ground
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons or more chicken or vegetable broth, if necessary
- Salt and pepper to taste (used 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper)
Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add butter, onion and squash to bacon drippings. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until squash is semi-soft.
Add Montmorency tart cherries and rosemary; continue cooking until squash is soft.
Add squash mixture to bacon. Stir in nuts and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly.
Add broth, one tablespoon at a time, if dressing is dry.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Tip: Use as a stuffing for stuff pork chops or pork tenderloin. This is also a good stuffing for chicken breasts or Cornish hens.