Cherry Butternut Squash
Total Time: 10 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 (1/2 cup) servings
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 4 cups butternut squash (1 small squash about 1-1/4 pound), peeled and cubed (1 inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spread squash in a single layer on a greased or sprayed 15×10-inch jelly roll pan or shallow roasting pan. Bake 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine Montmorency tart cherries and boiling water; set aside to plump.
Add onion wedges to pan with squash. Drizzle butter over vegetables; toss well. Bake 10 minutes.
Drain Montmorency tart cherries and add to pan. Drizzle syrup over vegetables; toss well. Continue baking 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and glazed.
Sprinkle with salt.
Recipe Tip: To cut preparation time, look for 18 ounce packages of peeled, diced butternut squash at Trader Joe’s grocery stores and some supermarkets.