Fregula Sarda Salad with Tart Cherries and Smoked Trout
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin or a combination of extra virgin and light or grapeseed oil for a lighter flavor)
- 16 ounces fregula sarda, cooked according to package directions
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed and flaked
- 1/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
Optional: soak 2 tablespoons dried Montmorency tart cherries in champagne vinegar for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain and discard cherries (you can use them on the salad if you like, however they are very potent, so taste them first beforehand).
Combine cherry-infused or plain champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar, shallot, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor; pulse to mix. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, mixing on low speed until emulsified and thickened.
Prepare fregula sarda according to package instructions until just al dente. Drain and let cool to room temperature or refrigerate.
In a large bowl, combine cooled fregula with arugula and sliced fennel. Toss with dressing until evenly coated. Divide among serving dishes. Top with flaked trout and sprinkle with remaining dried Montmorency tart cherries. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Lindsay Landis, LoveandOliveOil.com