Roasted Citrus Salad with Tart Cherries & Fried Goat Cheese
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Prep: 25 Minutes
Cook: 15 Minutes
Yield: 4 People
- 1 grapefruit, halved and sliced 1/8-inch thick, seeds removed
- 1 Meyer lemon or regular lemon, sliced 1/8-inch thick, seeds removed
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon or regular lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Montmorency tart cherry concentrate
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 package (5 ounces) baby spinach
- ¼ cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place grapefruit, lemon, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in large bowl, toss until well combined. Place citrus slices in single layer on rimmed baking pan. Transfer to oven and roast 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized in spots, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, in same large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, Montmorency tart cherry concentrate, mustard, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in remaining ¼ cup olive oil until all olive oil is incorporated.
Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into three individual bowls. Divide goat cheese into 12 even pieces; roll each piece into a ball. One at a time, dredge cheese balls in flour, dip in egg wash, then coat with breadcrumbs.
In large high-sided skillet, heat two inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F over medium heat. Working in two batches, transfer cheese balls to oil and fry 2 minutes or until deep golden brown, turning frequently. Transfer cheese balls to paper-towel lined plate; sprinkle with salt.
Add spinach, tart cherries, almonds and roasted citrus to bowl with dressing; toss until well combined. Divide salad between 4 plates or bowls; top each plate with 3 cheese balls. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Lori Yates, from Foxes Love Lemons