Asian Spinach Salad
Total Time: 10 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Yield: Approximately 4 servings (2 cups per serving)
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 4 ounces dried rice noodles or rice sticks
- 4 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves (or other fresh herbs), chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch slivers
- 1/3 cup dry peanuts, unsalted and roasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cook rice noodles or rice sticks in a large pot of boiling water for 2 to 6 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Immediately rinse with cold water. Drain. Fluff with a fork. Use kitchen scissors to cut up. Rinse again with cold water. Drain and fluff with a fork.
Toss together drained noodles, spinach, dried Montmorency tart cherries, mint, carrots and cucumber.
Stir together orange juice, vinegar, jalapeno pepper, gingerroot, garlic, orange peel and black pepper. Set aside.
Drizzle salad with dressing. Toss to coat all ingredients. Sprinkle with peanuts.