Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Tart Cherries & Pepitas
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups unsweetened almond-coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (slightly cooled)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together the steel cut oats, pepitas, ground flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond-coconut milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg and vanilla extract.
Stir the almond-coconut milk mixture into the oat mixture. Stir to combine.
Add the dried Montmorency tart cherries and stir again.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake until the oatmeal is set and golden brown, 55 to 60 minutes.
Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 9 squares. Serve with additional almond-coconut milk, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Dara Michalski, CookinCanuck.com.